Applications have been closed on 13 September 2021
“All failure is the failure to adapt, all success is successful adaptation”
Are you running a start-up in Africa or Asia that is addressing the impacts of climate change, such as heatwaves, flooding, drought, storm surges or sea level rise?
Then you can apply for our Adaptation & Resilience (A&R) Accelerator. This is a programme in which you will receive extra support in building your business. We’ll help you fast track your idea into a sustainable business and you’ll learn how to get your idea funded and launched.
The programme is open to suitable start-ups in Egypt, Ghana, Mauritius, South Africa, Uganda, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Tanzania, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan.
How it works
Once you are selected we will help developing your idea into a rock-solid plan by providing you with:
- Webinars and workshops to build your business skills;
- The opportunity to link with relevant partners and investors;
- Increased visibility because you can pitch your idea at the Adaptation & Resilience Day.
The most promising pitches are selected to be showcased at the United Nations Climate Summit (COP26) in November.
The A&R Accelerator is run entirely online.
What can I win?
The big prize? A bunch of new acquired skills, knowledge and networking opportunities to get your business thriving.
Also cash prizes will be awarded for the top teams participating. 1st prize if 4,500 EUR and 2nd and 3rd prizes are 3,500 EUR.
The A&R Accelerator is funded by CDC Group, which is the UK’s development finance institution with over 70 years of experience of successfully supporting the sustainable, long-term growth of businesses in Africa and South Asia.
Why an Adaptation & Resilience Accelerator?
The impact of climate change is felt around the world; from rising sea levels and storm surges along coastlines to more frequent flooding, drought and severe heatwaves affecting urban and rural communities worldwide.
As a result, there is an increasing demand for new solutions and services that help to address these hazards, providing a huge opportunity for entrepreneurs in this growing market.
What kind of ideas are eligible?
You can submit for the Accelerator when:
1. You are offering A&R-solutions
This means your business does one or more of the following;
- Helps your customers identify climate hazards (like flooding, droughts, heatwaves, etc) that may affect them;
- Helps your customers to adapt or build their resilience to these hazards.
Your business will do this in one or more of the following ways;
- Products – you provide a physical product, such as irrigation technology, that helps to manage the risk of drought and rising temperatures on crops;
- Service – You provide services to customers such as providing loans that help them buy adaptation products or recover from these hazards;
- Intelligence – you provide information that helps customers understand and plan for climate hazards, such as GIS mapping tools for different hazards or early warning systems to protect from sudden storm surges or forest fires.
2. And you are in one the eligible countries
This means start-ups from Egypt, Ghana, Mauritius, South Africa, Uganda, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Tanzania, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, India or Pakistan.
3. And your start-up has the right stage of maturity
We are looking for start-ups with a prototype and/or service offer ready, a well-formulated business model with working forecasts, ideally some sales traction (of 3-6 months) and first customer feedback.
Your start-up should be formally registered for at least a year.
- Deadline to apply is Thursday September 13th
- The programme will run from November 2021 to February 2022
- Adaptation & Resilience Day is on Monday October 4th 2021
How can I apply?
You can apply if you meet the criteria described above. You are most welcome to join!
- The programme will be conducted in English
- Check our Terms & Conditions